The general repair programme covers comprehensive reconstruction, repair and modernization work at Ostrava City Hospital up to 2030. The primary purpose of the programme is to ensure continuous improvements in the quality of medical care, excellent facilities for hospital staff, and enhanced comfort for patients. The programme was approved by the City Assembly on 1 March 2017.
The programme sets out plans for optimizing the locations of individual wards and hospital centres, as well as improving operational efficiency and the effectiveness of care in order to best meet the needs of the controlling body (the City) and the community in the hospital’s catchment area.
The document includes plans for short-term and medium-term investments, as well as investment plans dating back to the period before the programme was approved. It also details planned investments in technical infrastructure and 3 phases of long-term investments. The City has set up a special fund to finance the key investments in these 3 phases.
In view of the age of the hospital buildings and the current state of the infrastructure, essential preparatory work needs to be done in order to prepare the ground for the implementation of the subsequent projects, ensuring the provision of uninterrupted and high-quality patient care while also achieving operational cost savings. The initial phase will involve the technical reconstruction of the infrastructure (reconstruction and interconnection of high-voltage power generation facilities, water mains, sewerage networks and lighting, complete overhaul of energy efficiency practices throughout the hospital’s premises).
At the same time, a number of previously prepared projects are also being implemented, including the creation of a metabolic intensive care unit in block H2 and new ENT operating theatres, insulation and replacement of windows/doors at the emergency care unit and central warehouse and the treatment centre for long-term illnesses in Radvanice, as well as the reconstruction of various parts of the hospital premises: the bridges connecting the individual blocks at the main City Hospital complex, the children’s rehabilitation centre in Poruba, and the urology ward.
Among the hospital’s most important planned investment projects are the modernization of block E2 (for which a tender is now open for the building contractor), the construction of a new building with a hyperbaric chamber (a tender for project documentation has been announced), insulation of canteen facilities as part of the hospital’s energy efficiency programme (a funding application has been submitted via the Operational Fund Environment), and the construction of a multifunctional parking garage with a pharmacy (project documentation is currently being drawn up, and construction is scheduled to begin at the end of 2020).
The hospital will implement a number of projects during the period 2022–2026, including the construction of a new central operating theatre block (block X), a central admissions centre including an emergency centre (block Y), and a remodelled entrance area.
The general repair programme is currently undergoing comprehensive revision, covering the internal organization of the hospital as well as the content, scheduling and financing of the projects contained in the document.
History of Ostrava City Hospital
In 1846 Ostrava began building its first hospital, which was opened in May 1848. It was built on a site now occupied by the ASO department store building (currently a branch of the VZP health insurance company) in the city centre.
In 1885 the city decided to build a hospital for infectious diseases at a greenfield site in Fifejdy (formerly Viehweide, meaning pastureland). It was opened in the following year, and the plan was to expand it to create a general hospital for the city. However, a lack of funds meant that these plans had to be postponed until 1891, when the Moravská Ostrava city council decided to build a new hospital to replace the small two-floor building in the city centre, which was far too small to meet the requirements of the growing population in Ostrava and the surrounding communities. The hospital at Fifejdy was opened on 14 April 1898 in the presence of the Moravian provincial governor Baron Spenz-Boden, and until 1918 it was known as the Franz Joseph Public Hospital. Its original capacity was 190 beds.
A constant lack of funds in the municipal budget was an obstacle to the hospital’s further development. It was not until 1925 that the city council discussed a proposal to build a new block for throat disorders; it cost 3 million crowns and was opened in 1927. In 1932 a new ENT (ear, nose and throat) block was built, with 128 beds. The hospital’s next expansion came in the 1940s, when new specialist centres were created. In 1935 the hospital employed 5 head physicians, 12 deputy physicians, 67 nurses, 8 other medical assistants, 32 home helpers, 9 administrative workers and the manager. By 1938, a total 752 beds were available. The hospital was one of the largest in Moravia, and it was renowned throughout the region.
Since 1 January 1992 the City Hospital has been a contributory organization of the City of Ostrava (meaning that the City controls and funds it).
Source and map of the hospital: https://www.mnof.cz/