Ostrava’s bid for “European Green Capital 2020”
In 2017 Ostrava was a candidate for the title European Green Capital (EGC) 2020. The City submitted its bid for this prestigious European Commission award in October 2017. Previous candidates included cities such as Stockholm, Hamburg, Nantes, Ljubljana, Essen and Nijmegen (which was EGC in 2018). Ostrava’s bid emphasized the city’s achievements in revitalizing public spaces and brownfields, its modern city transport system and its excellent water management systems. The eventual winner of the 2020 title was Lisbon.
The EGC competition evaluates not only the current environmental situation in the candidate cities, but mainly their achievements over the past 5 to 10 years and their plans for the upcoming 3 years – which the city is then required to implement.
Ostrava is planning a number of activities related to sustainable development which will continue to bring the city closer to nature and which will generate substantial positive impacts on quality of life throughout the Ostrava agglomeration. These projects are being implemented regardless of the final result of the EGC bidding process.
Selected projects implemented as part of the EGC 2020 bid (now completed)
- creation of the City of Ostrava Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
- creation of the ČISTÁOVA (Clean Ostrava) app
- introduction of an eco-friendly bikesharing scheme
- creation of cycle routes to support eco-friendly transport in Ostrava – Proskovická-Blanická, Průmyslová-Baarova, 17. listopadu, Hrušov-Vrbice
- introduction of energy efficiency measures at the Ostrava-Radvanice treatment centre for long-term illnesses and the Ostrava City Hospital complex
- purchase of vehicles powered by alternative fuels and CNG
- implementation of a grant programme subsidizing new eco-friendly household boilers
- planting of flowerbeds in eight municipal districts of Ostrava
- planting of greenery in Sokolská St.
Selected projects implemented as part of the EGC 2020 bid (currently in the implementation phase)
- revitalization of Černá Louka (Black Meadow), the Pustkovec valley park, the Ostravice River embankment, the Benátky forest park and Hulváky hill, the U Boříka park in Nová Ves
- creation of the Centre for Energy and Environmental Technologies
- creation of cycle routes: U Kaminského-Ječmínkova, Nová ves-vodárna, Svinov bridges
- installation of charging points for electric vehicles
- creation of zero-emissions hydrogen transport infrastructure
- completion of the modernization of Ostrava’s public transport fleet with the acquisition of new low-emissions and low-floor vehicles
- revitalization and cultivation of greenery throughout Ostrava
- clearance work to remove ecological burdens – the Ostramo oil lagoons
- the project “The path of water and the park above the pond”
- creation of a plan for Ostrava’s Territorial Ecostability System
European Green Capital – Ostrava’s bid in the media
- 28 European towns and cities racing for European Green Capital Award 2020 and European Green Leaf Award 2019